Tuesday, May 3, 2011

An International View of the death of bin Laden Part II

There are a lot of things that will undoubtedly come to light in the days to follow, but I really want to focus the rest of this blog on what has been the most astonishing and educational part of my Olmsted experience thus far: some of my Thai friends and acquaintances’ responses to the news.  
Overwhelmingly, educated Thais understand the importance of the killing of Osama Bin Laden and what it means for Americans.  However, I have been overwhelmingly astounded by the reaction of seemingly educated Thais to think that this is a conspiracy.  I have already explained that, no, the President of the United States will not call a news conference to announce the death of a high level target unless he has actual proof beyond a reasonable doubt that it is indeed that person.  As events have unfolded over the past 24 hours, things are supporting my argument.  Of course, arguing with conspiracy theorists is a losing game.  Nothing I could possibly say or show would convince somebody so deeply skeptical and irrationally anti-American (a majority of those who are so, by the way, have never traveled to America).  Again, I understood conspiracy theorists in my midst in Iraq and Afghanistan because most of those people had little education and were under repressive regimes.  This has led me to wonder about things more and more here.  
The southern 3 Thai provinces, Pattani, Yala, and Narathiwat, are home to a great deal of ethnic Malay Muslims.  For many years, there has been a separatist movement
 that came to a head just after 2004.  However, the movement is unrelated to Al Qaeda.  Today, the Nation, one of Thailand’s leading English Newspapers, posted a quote from Srisompob Jitpiromsri, an academic at Prince of Songkla University in Pattani.  Although noting the fight in the south has nothing to do with Al Qaeda and extremism, he felt that “[the] Thai media should not highlight the US victory too much, because it might draw a reaction.  No matter what bin Laden did, he was still a Muslim, and all Muslims are brothers.”
  That is view from an academic Muslim, but I think it’s a clear insight into the rift between your typical American or European raised in the Judeo-Christian ethic and Muslims who thinks like this guy.  This guy is not an extremist, but he still feels a kinship with Bin Laden.  What about typical views around the rest of the world?  What are the atmospherics in your areas?  (I’m trying to make this a bit of an ongoing dialogue).
Getting back on point... your respective heads may be reeling with the question, “Wait, what?  Did I just read that last part correctly, he identifies with a murderer?”  Yes, he did. I don’t know many people in the West who feel a kinship with Hitler because he was a Christian.  Granted, there are also Muslims who do not consider UBL a Muslim at all.  I don’t know.  However, what I have personally decided over the past ten years is that I don’t trust anybody who believes too fanatically in anything (Islam, Christianity, trees, red rubber boots, or what should or should not go on in one’s bedroom between two consenting adults).  Keep your views to yourself and we’ll get along just fine.  Don’t prosthelytize to me, and I won’t try to convince you that believing in the mighty spirit in the sky is like believing in the Easter Bunny (not that I hold that position, just an illustratory point).  Sorry, growing up in Utah surrounded by really great, but extremely faithful people whose first question to you was always, “Are you a member?” has made me appreciate discretion in speaking about religion.  
So to end this post, I’d like to let everyone know that I am furiously (okay, I’m liberally using that word) translating four Thai newspapers from today to further help shed some light on views in the media here.  That will probably take me a few days.  Tomorrow, I’ll compare civil-military relations in Thailand with those in America.  I know I promised to talk about Oscar Arias’ piece in the November/December 2010 Foreign Affairs, but I thought these thoughts used up enough space.   To the five of you out there reading, enjoy the small snippets into my daily life.  Cheers! 

2 comments:

  1. that's very interesting... and telling of the ideological differences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post- I must be one of the five.

    Looking forward to seeing what the Thai press is saying. Haven't heard much out here- but then again, the Islam in Senegal (95% of the population, and they are VERY pious) is pretty different than what you see in other parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete